CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 1, 2011

'Tis the Season

Tonight I went to a community Christmas event. My church set up a table where we gave away free coffee and hot chocolate.  We did this to spread the word and show Christ's love. Our table was swamped- not because  people were eager to hear the word, but because we had free stuff.

I grew aggravated as I tried to tell people about our church and all they wanted to know was where the creamer was. People complained that the cocoa tasted like water. Then when the cocoa ran out, they complained that we only had coffee.  When I invited them to come worship with us, many gave me this strange, pondering look or avoided eye contact altogether like I was making them uncomfortable.

When I got home tonight, I was discouraged to say the least. Then it hit me, if I'm discouraged when I give away free coffee, how heartbroken must Christ be? He gave his life to save us from our sins. I gave away coffee. If people can ignore His selfless, powerful and infinite gift, why shouldn't they ignore my small and temporary one?

My coffee was free, but so is Christ's love. If we had to earn it, no one would be able to pay the price. That is why God sent his son: to pay it for us.

So, despite my discouragement at the lack of "thanks" I received, I find peace. This peace comes from the knowledge that Christ will continue to give whether or not we show our gratitude. I know I don't say it enough, but thanks God for the gift that keeps giving: forgiveness.

0 comments: