CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 21, 2011

If Patience is a Virtue, I am not very Virtuous...

"Patience is a virtue." Ah, those sage words of wisdom that reveal the meaning of life. To say I am being facetious here would be an understatement.  I probably hate that phrase more than anything in the world.  It is a saying that parents tell whiny children when they want their dessert before their broccoli and not after. It is a saying that boyfriends tell their persistent girlfriends who have booked the church before they've even gotten a ring. It is a saying that I, as a teacher, tell my students daily when they badger me for graded tests a day after they have taken them.  It is a saying that I often mumble begrudgingly to myself when things aren't happening as quickly as I would like them to.

God gave me a lot of things, but patience is not one of them. And if the possession of patience classifies you as a virtuous person, consider me a heathen. I was that little kid who stood beside you and repeatedly poked your shoulder while you were having a conversation with someone else until your arm was so sore that you stopped mid-sentence to scream "WHAT IS IT, MAGGIE?!"

My impatience has really been an issue in my relationship with Christ. You see, God doesn't really respond well to temper tantrums (trust me, I've tried).  I can pout, stamp my feet and even give Him the silent treatment, and He ain't budging.  God gives answers in His own timing and not according to my personal agenda.  Sometimes God doesn't give answers at all.

The closer I grow to Christ, the more He seems to press the point of patience on my heart.  I heard once to never pray for patience, because the second you do, God will give you something to test your patience.  Well, God, bring it! Here I am, praying for patience. I am praying for patience with You, with friends and family and especially for patience with myself. I am praying for the patience to accept that just because things don't happen when I want them to, does not mean they aren't happening right on time.

I pray that I will stop looking at my watch and start looking up. It's all on Your time Lord, not mine.

0 comments: